Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sara Pennypacker wins the GOLDEN KITE AWARD


PIERRE IN LOVE, written by BookArtist Sara Pennypacker is the winner of the The Society of Children's Books Writers and Illustrators 2007 Golden Kite Award for Picture Book Text.

Instituted in 1973, the Golden Kite Awards are the only children’s literary award judged by a jury of peers. More than 1,000 books are entered each year.

Sara says . . . . "this award is so sweet for me because I wrote PIERRE for a close friend, as she was dying of breast cancer. She was the most loving, generous woman I've ever known, and my kids and I adored her. When I got the news PIERRE had won, a poet friend said it seemed to him that awards always came to writers right when they were having difficult times (the last few weeks had been very difficult, personally - ok now, though, no worries.) and I realized that he was close to a truth - that maybe the best books are written during difficult times. I remember that in writing PIERRE for Pella, I wanted her to hear the best I had, to know that I'd blown out all the stops for her. Or maybe it was more a feeling of what the hell are you saving it for? Whatever it was, I wrote PIERRE in tears and full of love the whole time, and now to win means so much to me."

No comments: